Saturday, April 10, 2010

Eat, eating, eaten

I am going to write down what I ate today. Some blogger friends of mine write down what they eat every day. I know its about accountability. But I also find it interesting, even fascinating. You only have to take a look in somebody else's shopping trolley to know that they are not eating like you. What on earth is quinoa, for instance? Who uses cheese whip, and what do use it on?

My Mum first experienced garlic when a bulb of it accidentally rolled into her groceries. She thought, "What do I do with this?" To her credit, she took it home and figured out how to use it. (In the home she grew up in, all vegetables were boiled until they were well and truly dead. And garlic was unheard of.)
Thank God for Italians, is all I can say!

Without further ado, here's my list:
Breakfast
Special K cornflakes 30g
Skim milk, half a cup
1 cup decaf coffee

Snack
1 apple
1 large glass Pepsi Max (no sugar) (look, I do have a hangover!)

Lunch
sandwich on multigrain bread (2 slices)
5g lite canola spread
50g lean roast pork
5ml plum sauce
half a tomato
1 medium carrot

Snack
1 medium banana

Burritos for Dinner
1 lite taco
100g chicken tenders
shredded lettuce
sliced tomato
red capsicum
cucumber
tomato salsa

Snack
200ml diet yogurt
2 weightwatchers choc chip cookies

That's pretty much typical. I try to eat 2 fruits and 5 vegies each day, plus enough protein, dairy, and carbs. If anyone's interested I walk about 2km per day. I know I should do more.

I dont do donuts or cakes or nuts or candy or nacho crisps or any cookies except WW ones. I just dont have them in the house. Oh, I tell a lie. I do have homemade muffins - but I keep them in the freezer, they are for the kids.

The secret of my success is definitely vegetables. You can 'pad out' your food using vegetables, because most of them yield zero energy. Yay - unlimited vegies! You feel full, but you didn't overeat. Cool.

The only exceptions to this are corn, peas, potatoes and parsnips. These have some energy, so you just keep portion size down low for these ones.

I did lose 35lb the last 6 months, eating this way. And now its become a habit. Im not going back to any of my former bad habits (click here for my confessions).

That's all folks. Just thought I'd share, just in case anyone's actually interested.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a healthy day! I wish I could motivate myself to eat healthier. Tonight I *am* having grilled chicken, grilled potatoes in olive butter & garlic butter,with extra garlic seasoning & season salt, and then grilled corn on the cob with garlic butter. (do I see a pattern here tonight... garlic butter... garlic butter... *smiles* Keep up the good work! - Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to see what others eat!
    I am one that keeps track so I can be held accountable. My choices still need a LOT of work, but believe it or not they are SO MUCH better then they used to be lol. I find it keeps me from eating things because I think "uh, if I eat this- I will have to write it down..." Hopefully I'll eventually get in all my fruits and veggies too!
    Great Job on loosing 35 pounds!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! It's not easy to lose weight or retrain ourselves with a healthy diet. I think keeping track of what you eat helps you to avoid inattentive eating. That's my problem. If I want ice cream, I'll eat it. I never sit down with a "small" carton though. I buy a large carton and scoop up one serving. This way, I don't inadvertently eat four servings. I also taught myself to eat with intention. I eat when I'm hungry and I stop the absolute moment I start to feel full. In this way, I've lost 20 pounds and kept them off.

    ReplyDelete