Thursday, April 8, 2010

What a Mess...


My sister's house looks like this. But its messier - to the power of 1000. Imagine the above picture (which I swiped from Flickr) but with a large tub of mobilo dumped on the floor. Now there are red, yellow and blue plastic bits strewn all over. Plus add at least 5 fluff-coated baby pacifiers. Mix it all around.

Now we will add food. Imagine two monkeys have rushed into the apartment and are hurling and smearing food all around, and shoving buttered toast into odd places.

Next, take a pile of laundry and dump it on top of everything. Clean laundry, dirty laundry, what difference does it make?

My sister has kids aged 18 months and 5 years old and she lives in a ground-floor flat with her husband. My nephew (the 5 year old) runs on rocket fuel. My niece (18 months) is the smearer.

The crux of the problem is: my sister doesn't really believe in cleaning or housework. Not when there are creative things to be done, such as crochet, painting, and organic gardening. She does, however, believe in cooking. And so does her husband - he is Indian, and O.M.G, the feasts they can make!

But, O, M, G,....the MESS!!!

Yesterday my sister called me and said, "My house is a real mess (no kidding, really?) and my friend Jenny is coming to stay. She's coming on Friday. Can I borrow your kids to help me tidy up?" (my sons are available for hire, at very reasonable rates...)

Only one of my kids was available, but I offered to come too. It took my son and me two and a half hours to vacuum, mop, pick up, sort, put away, dust, hang out the laundry and wash the dirty dishes.

Hence I'm a wee bit tired tonight as I write this.

I wish I could say "Ive never seen anything like it!!!" But that would be telling a lie. I have seen it all before - many times.

4 comments:

  1. So, um, how much do you charge?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol - my kids are $5 each, per hour. Me, I do it for love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really nice of you Michaela :)
    Kind of enabling her... but it's not like it's drugs... just a messy house lol.
    I hope she realizes what a sweet sister she has!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big job.there does come a point when you live in it,that you think 'what's the point? It's always going to be this way' ... But it feels do much better when things are tidy. One day I'll let you see our car when the trash is almost level with the seats. Lots of blog material there.

    ReplyDelete